Pulp and paper
Unless otherwise noted, the KPIs shown above represent work done as of May 2016. The figures reported here will be updated on a regular basis to reflect our continuing work.
3M became TFT members in 2014. We support 3M’s renewed commitment to responsible sourcing of pulp and paper across their entire operations.
3M’s revised Pulp and Paper Sourcing Policy, released in March 2015, reflects its commitment to responsible sourcing across its pulp and paper supply chain. The policy expects that all the wood fiber used in 3M products, packaging and manufacturing processes should be legal, traceable, not associated with deforestation or harm to high conservation values, and respect workers and indigenous people’s rights.
3M’s responsible sourcing program for P&P built on its Legal Harvest program which was designed to ensure compliance with global legal harvesting legislation. TFT has helped 3M to revise their policy and to build a program to implement the policy that goes beyond legality to also incorporate social and environmental expectations for its suppliers.
Implementation of the policy is a substantial undertaking given the complexity of 3M’s global supply chains. 3M has hundreds of direct suppliers in multiple categories including production papers, paper-based packaging and paper-based outsourced manufacturing. TFT and 3M work closely to map 3M’s supply chains and to understand how suppliers are managing risks in their own supply chains, in order to meet 3M expectations and promote responsible pulp and paper production globally. 3M seeks to collaborate with its suppliers, and expects suppliers to take responsibility for their own upstream supply chains by implementing programmes similar to 3M.
TFT has been supporting 3M to follow the Values Transparency –Transformation Verification (VTTV) approach – and more specifically through the following key activities:
- Policy Development (The “V” in VTTV): TFT advised 3M during the revision of 3M Pulp and Paper Sourcing Policy including significant time spent raising awareness about the major social, environmental and legal issues in the pulp and paper industry and discussions with 3M stakeholders.
- Trainings and Capacity Building: TFT has conducted trainings for 3M staff and suppliers around the world to better understand the new policy and what is expected of 3M suppliers. As of January 2016, TFT has conducted 9 training session for either 3M staff or 3M suppliers in the USA, Switzerland, Brazil, China, and Taiwan.
Capacity building can also take different forms. The Canadian Boreal is a region that has been prioritized for pulp and paper work due to risks around management of threatened caribou habitat and conflicts with indigenous First Nations communities. In September 2015 TFT arranged a trip for four 3M senior staff members to meet with caribou experts and with First Nations in Quebec Province in Canada to hear first hand about the current state of the science and their concerns and perspectives. This knowledge can then be used by 3M to better understand their global supply chain and its potential impacts and to make strategic sourcing decisions.
- Supplier Engagement and Supply Chain Mapping: With the release of the 3M policy, work began to engage with 3M’s suppliers to map 3M’s supply chains back to forest source. 3M leads on this important work, which involves ongoing communication with suppliers. TFT supports by providing strategic guidance on the development and revision of key tools. For instance, TFT advised on supplier questionnaires used to track 3M’s pulp and paper supply chain from direct supplier back to pulp mill, forest source and country and district of harvest. And TFT also advised on questionnaires used by suppliers to report on their progress in conforming to the 3M policy expectations. In some cases, TFT also joins in discussions with suppliers.
- Regional Support and Expertise: TFT regional staff with expertise in the pulp and paper sector work directly with 3M staff in North America, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
- Supplier Site Visits: In some cases, TFT performs site visits to ensure that 3M suppliers are meeting 3M policy expectations around social and environmental standards and traceability. Site visits thus far have focused on Asia, with 4 supplier site visits conducted to converters and paper mills in China and Taiwan as of January 2016. TFT helps 3M and suppliers to address gaps between current practice and 3M policy expectations, at the specific site being assessed, and at the company group level. In 2016 TFT will conduct additional site visits of targeted suppliers in Asia as well as in North America, Europe/Russia and Latin America.
- Desktop Risk Assessments: TFT periodically conducts desktop risk assessments of 3M’s pulp and paper supply chain. This includes a review of supplier information to evaluate environmental and social risks and overall policy conformance. TFT reviews all the companies and locations involved in 3M’s supply chains – from direct supplier to paper and pulp mills to forest sources. As of January 2016, TFT has conducted 2 desktop risk assessments for 3M and has just begun a third assessment.
The TFT – 3M partnership is also based on providing strategic guidance in an ongoing manner throughout the policy implementation process. TFT helps 3M develop strategies for addressing concerns where they arise, staying on top of current issues in the industry. TFT helps 3M to communicate their evolving product story to consumers and stakeholders. 3M has committed to publishing two public progress updates annually.