So far in 2017 Bunge has also started tracking additional sustainability metrics including percentage of volume from suppliers with an equivalent NDPE policy, percentage of volume from suppliers with a public grievance mechanism. Bunge started reporting publically on these metrics in March 2017 and will include additional metrics going forward.
Summary of 2016 work plan
In 2016, TFT’s work with Bunge focused on the Transparency and Transformation steps of the VTTV framework. Bunge made great progress in increasing traceability and engagement with suppliers, and started focusing on transformation. Specifically, in 2016 Bunge:
- Increased the transparency of their supply chain by working on traceability to palm oil mill
- Developed & launched a supplier progress tracking mechanism and engaged suppliers using the Engagement for Policy Implementation (EPI) tool to move beyond traceability towards more comprehensive NDPE policy implementation
- Created a supplier qualification process
- Published a public grievance procedure
- Supported creation of a Starling spatial base map to enable stakeholders within the Aceh Tamiang, Indonesia landscape to engage in land use planning and to monitor land conversion
- Explored options for collective, pre-competitive solutions to accelerate overall transparency for India and engaging with suppliers in India to better understand the supply chain
- Issued two public progress reports (March & September)
2017 work plan
In 2017, Bunge will continue ongoing transparency and transformation efforts with a strong focus Ongoing support to advance Starling spatial base map for Ache Tamiang to include HCS land cover at landscape level. This is important given the need for HCS information to be available to small- to medium-sized companies that are seeking to meet customer no-deforestation commitments, but typically lack the financial capacity and expertise to complete an HCS assessment.
- Continued exploration of options for collective, pre-competitive solutions to accelerate overall transparency for India
- Issue two public progress reports in March (completed, link below) and September
View Global Palm Oil sourcing update here