How we work with Ferrero on Palm Oil
TFT are supporting Ferrero in its palm oil sustainability journey in order to enhance and consolidate the trust between Ferrero and it’s stakeholders (consumers, journalists, NGOs governments etc) and secure Ferrero’s leadership on the topic
Objectives for 2016/17:
This year Ferrero focuses its work plan on the implementation of the verification approach through the deployment of the Ferrero Palm Oil Sourcing Verification Protocol that has been presented to suppliers in 2015. Ferrero will also be performing ground based transformational activities in order to provide to stakeholders (NGOs and POIG) demonstrations of Ferrero’s willingness to bring innovative transformational solutions to industry issues.
A. Support Ferrero to implement its protocol and to develop tools and systems for monitoring purposes.
- Transparency Platform: provide Ferrero with support in building a dashboard to provide of the progress and action being undertaken.
- Traceability: TFT has supported Ferrero to provide traceability information to FFB sources, obtain sources boundaries as well as industrial estates and small holders data.
- Deforestation Mapping: Ferrero has been part of Starling pilot.
- No exploitation monitoring system: TFT is developing a system/tool that will monitor and enables communities and workers to freely communicate on the issues they are facing and will enable Ferrero to address it quicker.
- Environmental & social responsible management: TFT has supported Ferrero to launch a pilot on its producing suppliers’ self-assessment with regards to the management of specific environmental and social impacts which Ferrero has committed to ban from its supply chain.
- Grievances management: TFT is helping Ferrero to develop and implement a grievance management mechanism.
B. To support Ferrero in reviewing its suppliers’ commitments and continuous support to help them move forward
- Evaluate the level of suppliers’ responsible commitments and implementation: TFT has supported Ferrero to develop a tool to evaluate its direct suppliers’ alignment and progress towards Ferrero’s PO Charter.
- Engagement with suppliers and discussion of action plan: TFT will support Ferrero to engage with producing suppliers to work out ways to improve their practices towards its PO Charter.
Raw Material Input
Material Input: 181.000 metric tons of palm oil products (ACOP 2015)
Origin (Jan to Jun 2016):
- 92.46% – coming from Malaysia (82.88% from Peninsular Malaysia)
- 5.97% – coming from Papua New Guinea
- 0.64% – coming from Brazil
- 0.51% – coming from Indonesia
- 0.15% – coming from Costa Rica
- 0.09% – coming from Guatemala
- 0.09% – coming from Colombia
- 0.05% – coming from Honduras
- 0.05% – coming from Solomon Islands
In 2016, in order to engage with it’s stakeholders on palm oil Ferrero carried out 2 events in France and in Brussels These events were supported by TFT. We presented the palm oil context and paradox , the work TFT does and how we support Ferrero on their policy implementation