How we work with Les Mousquetaires on Palm Oil
With regard to palm oil the retailer has been working on private brand products. Mousquetaires Group is going beyond the RSPO standard by expanding their policy to safeguard forests (HCV and HCS) and peatlands.
The work plan is based on several key actions:
- Footprint : Updating the palm oil footprint of private brand product every year to monitor the volumes progress.
- Traceability : Gather information in order to reach their goal of 100% traceability back to first importer in 2020. After the 2016 campaign based on 2015 data we will undertake a new traceability campaign in 2017 for 2016’s data.
- Transformation: After the traceability work we will evaluate the key suppliers in regards to 4 main criteria: their public policy, their transparency, their actions to apply the policy and their reputation.
The risky suppliers will then be contacted by Les Mousquetaires. The letter will remind them of Les Mousquetaires’ engagement on palm oil and demand either to take public policy or shed light on the actions done to respond to a campaign
How we work with Les Mousquetaires on Wood
All of Les Mousquetaires’ tropical wood is now from known, legal and responsible sources. Les Mousquetaires also works with Indonesian community forest APHERAL.
The plan is to work on wood sourcing (tropical and non-tropical wood) by working with their suppliers on responsible sourcing by collecting traceability information. On tropical wood major volumes are coming from known, legal and responsible sources. Currently working on non-tropical wood and with the objective to have responsible sourcing by 2018.
How we work with Les Mousquetaires on Charcoal
Les Mousquetaires’ decided to start working on their charcoal supply chain in 2015. Since then Les Mousquetaires is engaged in working toward responsible charcoal.
The objective is to take part in the tender process in order to advise them on the different suppliers and help them select the suppliers in accordance with their values.
How we work with Les Mousquetaires on Cocoa
Les Mousquetaires’ decided to start working on their cocoa supply chain in 2015. The products selected to be part of the project are tablets and chocolate powder since they are products with high sales and contain a very high proportion of cocoa material in them.
The aim of the first part of the project was focused on understanding from where the cocoa used in those products is sourced. The first step is to calculate the footprint and identify the biggest suppliers contributing to the footprint.
For this project we are working with the sustainability team, buyer and the quality department in charge of the product categories.
After the footprint exercise the work is now to enter into an in-depth study of several relevant supply chains. The aim is to understand from where the cocoa can be traced and what the practices are all along the supply chain.
As the 2016 work plan has been delayed it remains the same in 2017.
- Select suppliers (3) to identify the supply chain actors
- Train purchasing and quality team
- Launch traceability pilot through a webinar with selected suppliers and finding out what traceability Mousquetaires can have
- Engage with the relevant actors in the supply chain