What we do
How we work with Vandemoortele on palm oil
We are supporting Vandemoortele in achieving its palm oil commitment. The work plan has been divided into two phases:
- A first phase of transparency: better understanding of Vandemoortele’s current supply chain, including commitment and practices of suppliers to meet the policy.
- A second phase of transformation: where we will collectively work with Vandemoortele and its suppliers to implement action plans, and support them to make any required improvements.
What we have done with Vandermoortele so far:
2014 – Value
We helped Vandemoortele to build its Palm Oil policy which defends a sustainable palm oil development (NDPE). Vandemoortele has committed to publicly report on progress every year on its corporate website.
2015 – Phase of transparency
Together with Vandemoortele and suppliers, we have reached 94.0% traceability back to the mill at the end of 2015 (see more on Vandemoortele 2015 progress report). TFT has also focused efforts to help one of their main supplier to set up a way to give more transparency on mills used.
In 2016 – phase of transparency
We continued to work on traceability with Vandemoortele and reached 93, 4% traceability back to the mill in 2016. Helping Vandemoortele’s suppliers towards better Palm oil producing practices was still a priority part of the 2016 work plan.
2017 – Phase of transparency and transformation
TFT and Vandemoortele to work on several activities:
- Continue working towards achieving 100% traceability
- Biannual data collection, aggregation, checks and calculations
- Biannual mill traceability reporting through a standardized template so internal Vandemoortele teams can use it
- Build stronger traceability: get the nodes in between mills and supplier refineries
- Answer customer questionnaire and build internal capacities (dynamic FAQ)
- Monitor suppliers commitment and progress on beyond traceability
- Support to one supplier: supply base analysis
- Support Vandemoortele to drive Transformation within its supply chain. TFT will help Vandemoortele to commit to a Transformation initiative which will directly improve environmental and social practices in the field.
Vandemoortele has published its 2016 sustainable palm oil progress report: it can be seen here